Nest is an innovative approach to home technology that will make your life easier. Nest products work together in an intuitive way to learn about your lifestyle and habits – for example, what time you go to work in the morning and when you to bed at night. Core Nest items communicate with other products, known as Works with Nest, to help protect your home, keep your family safe and reduce your energy bills.
Sound complicated? It’s actually simpler than it sounds! Best of all, you can manage all your Nest devices easily in one place by downloading a free app to your smart phone or tablet. And you don’t need to programme them or tell them what to do. They just get on with it!
To start using Nest, you’ll need one or more of their three core products. These are the Nest Learning Thermostat, the Nest Protect smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarm, and the Nest Cam home monitoring system. We’ve summarised their key features below:
- Learns the temperatures you like at different times of day and programmes itself in around a week.
- Turns off your heating and hot water when you’re out to save energy.
- Sends alerts to your phone if your home becomes too hot or cold.
- Can be controlled remotely from your phone, tablet or laptop.
- Enables remote control of your hot water tank.
- Uses OpenTherm technology to control your boiler.
- Tracks your energy use so you can spot where you could make savings.
- Industrial-grade smoke sensor distinguishes between fast and slow-burning fires.
- Tests itself automatically and sends ‘low battery’ alerts to your phone.
- Long battery life lasts up to a decade.
- Voice alerts warn you if the alarm is likely to sound.
- Emergency alerts sound at home and are also sent to your phone.
- You can use your phone to silence the alarm.
- Knows the difference between smoke and steam.
- Secure HD 1080p video screening that you can access anywhere on your phone or tablet.
- Wide angle view or zoom features can be used remotely.
- Ideal for monitoring pets or children when you’re out or in another room.
- Sends an alert to your phone if unexpected activity or noise is detected.
- Easy to install on a stand, magnet, wall or tripod.
- Optional bolt-on Nest Aware service enables continuous recording, 30 day storage, personalised alerts, clips and time lapse features.
Working together for a better life
When two or more Nest products come together, you’ll really start to see the benefits. For example:
Nest Thermostat + Nest Protect
If your Nest Protect senses smoke or CO, it can switch off your boiler to help stop the problem getting worse.
Nest Thermostat + Nest Cam
Set your Nest Thermostat to Away and your Nest Cam will switch on automatically to monitor your home in your absence.
Nest Cam + Nest Protect
If your Nest Protect senses smoke or CO, it will activate Nest Cam so you can see what happened.
Works with Nest
For the full Nest experience, you can add as few or as many Works with Nest products as you like. These include a wide range of items from different manufacturers that have been designed to connect to and learn from your core Nest products.
So if you notice a Works with Nest logo on a product such as a washing machine, light bulb or baby monitor, you can expect extra benefits from its interaction with your existing Nest technology. Here are just a few examples:
Philips hue lighting
- If Nest Protect senses smoke or CO, your Philips hue light bulbs will flash on and off to help grab your attention.
- Nest Cam can switch on your lights if it senses motion when you’re away from the house.
Chamberlain automatic garage door
- When your garage door closes, your Nest Learning Thermostat knows you’ve gone out and lowers the temperature. When you get home, it increases it.
- Nest Cam automatically switches on as you drive away from your home.
Mimo onesie and baby monitor
- If your baby wakes up, Mimo switches on Nest Cam so you can see what’s happening in the nursery from your phone or tablet.
Yale Linus keyless lock (coming soon)
- Yale Linus will work alongside Nest Cam and Nest Protect to tell you if there’s smoke, CO or an intruder in your home.
- Using your Nest app, you’ll be able to lock and unlock your home without a key and set up entry codes.
Of course, the more Nest and Works with Nest products you have in your home, the more you can take advantage of this amazing technology.
Getting started with Nest
Warm for Life are registered Nest Pro installers, so we can supply and fit your Nest Thermostat, Nest Cam and Nest Protect devices. After that, you can simply add any Works with Nest product using your smart phone or tablet. As soon as a new device is connected, it’ll start working alongside and learning from your existing products straightaway.
Find out more